Inspecting your home on a regular basis and following good maintenance practices is the best way to protect your investment in your home.
- Check and clean or replace air filters each month during the heating season. Ventilation system, such as heat recovery ventilator, filters should be checked every two months.
- After consulting your hot water tank owners manual, drain off a dishpan full of water from the clean-out valve at the bottom of your hot water tank to control sediment and maintain efficiency.
- Clean humidifier two or three times during the winter season.
- Vacuum bathroom fan grille.
- Vacuum fire and smoke detectors, as dust or spider webs can prevent them from functioning.
- Vacuum radiator grilles on back of refrigerators and freezers, and empty and clean drip trays.
- Check gauge on all fir extinguishers; recharge or replace if necessary.
- Check fire escapes routes, door and window locks and hardware, and lighting around the outside of house; ensure family has good security habits.
- Check the basement floor drain to ensure the trap contains water. Refill with water if necessary.
- Check all faucets for signs of dripping and change washers as needed. Faucets requiring frequent replacement of washers may be in need of repair.
- Clean drains in dishwasher, sinks, bathtubs and shower stalls.
- Test plumbing shut off valves to ensure they are working and prevent them from seizing.
- Examine windows and doors for cold air leaks. If found, make a note to repair or replace in the spring.
- Check electrical cords, plugs and outlets for all indoor and outdoor seasonal lights to ensure fire safety; if worn, or plugs or cords feel warm to the touch, replace immediately.
If you have an interest in Buying or Selling in the Toronto area and would like to discuss the current market, please fill out this contact form or call me directly at (416) 457-1722.